Seatbelt Blues

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Fiat Lux!

Seatbelt Blue here, and welcome to my second attempt at a blog. The first attempt, the ill-fated Love the Life You Choose, folded a bit back, but I've decided to jump in again with a more general-purpose blog. The earlier effort was far too...concentrated, I believe would be the best word. The topic was both too specific and too general to really afford frequent posting. This one will be far more esoteric; in addition to my philosophical rants, I'll really just post whatever comes to mind.

About Seatbelt Blue: I'm a Catholic writer currently working on three projects - one prose novel and two graphic novels (one of which really should be a film, but ah, whatever). I'm also a college dropout for a variety of reasons (the principal one being unable to discern a purpose for my being there and wasting untold thousands of dollars for an English degree, when I'm fairly certain I'll be entering the priesthood through the Society of St Paul eventually. Most of my credits won't even transfer).

As I said, I'm Catholic, and my faith is really staggeringly important to me. I try to order my whole being toward it. I've been Catholic since I was 16 (I currently approach 21), having converted (to my dad's chagrin) after having an Epiphany in 2000 with regards to it's truthfulness. Since then, I've educated myself (autodidactism - another reason I left school) in the faith, but unfortunately spent a terribly large amount of time just debating Protestants and calling it the Lord's work. Since early 2004, I've been drawing myself a more contemplative bath, and working towards saints like Teresa of Avila, Therese of Lisieux, and John of the Cross - the Carmelite Mystics - and I also feel a grand connection to the Desert Fathers and the Prophets of Israel (indeed, one of my graphic novels in the works could be described as the story of Moses told through a shattered mirror).

Philosophically/theologically, I lean in the direction of that grand theological thunderclap John Paul the Great, Soren Kierkegaard, CS Lewis, Karl Barth. I tend to consider myself something of a Neo-Orthodox Christian Personalist Existentialist (if that makes the SLIGHTEST bit of sense. I'm still in shallow water here). Definitely not much of the Thomist Scholastic, though. Still on the fence with regards to St. Augustine. I read Scott Hahn, if that means anything, and I'm constantly amazed by this sort of underlying familial theology that seems to run through his whole canon, and further amazed whenever I see it anywhere else.

In terms of my literary tastes, I definitely have a thing for the 1920's and the Moderns. Earnest Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, Malcom Cowley, Robert MacAlmon, Kay Boyle, H.D., Bryher, Harry Crosby, Ezra Pound, James Joyce, TS Eliot, even Tristan Tzara and Dadaism...it's very ironic that my literary interests draw so heavily towards the sort of debonair nihilism I work so hard to combat in my own work. Similarly I'm drawn towards the Beats, especially Kerouac and Ferlenghetti. Of course, I also love Tolkein, Orson Scott Card, CS Lewis, et al.

But the single book that's had the most influence on me to date is George Weigel's earth-shattering Letters to a Young Catholic.

Anyway, welcome to Seatbelt Blues. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home